My husband and I love to eat grilled romaine alongside any of our favorite grilled main dishes. It is a warm salad and somehow feels like another (easy) fancy food. I really love that:
- It is on the plate in less than 10 minutes.
- It goes straight from grill to plate…no dishes! You can add the oil and vinegar to the lettuce in a plastic bag and bring it straight to the warm grill.
- 4 heads Hearts of Romaine (Washed and whole)
- drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- drizzle Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash hearts of romaine and pat dry.
- Drizzle with EVOO and balsamic vinegar
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place on medium-low heat on the grill for 5 minutes, turning once, until slightly wilted. You know the grill is on medium-low heat when, at 5 inches above the grill, you can hold your hand there for a max of 5 seconds.
- Serve immediately.
- This warm salad is the perfect companion for any grilled main dish. It is simple to prepare, but very filling and healthy. It makes a fun addition to a date night dinner.
- Going straight from grill to plate makes for easy clean up!
- My hubby is a grilling warrior; he does it year round. In Phoenix, when the summer wind hits you like an open oven door, he is out there. During a recent monsoon (yes–a raging storm in the desert), he huddled behind the grill to stay dry. We all laughed…we were high and dry, looking through the window at him. And in the winter, when temperatures occasionally fall below freezing…he is out there. Year round, this recipe is a staple in our regular line-up!