When I was a newlywed, my older, more sophisticated sister told me about this (easy) fancy food: The Caprese Salad. It is a refreshing, delectable, comfort food. I love to fix it when we have steak. This special side dish is on the plate in five minutes flat, but makes such a pretty presentation. Thanks Sis–20 years later and I still love making it!
(Easy) fancy foods are right up my alley
…such #ASimplerJoy! 🙂
3 Large Vine Ripe Tomatoes (1/4 inch slices)
16oz Fresh Mozzarella (1/4 inch slices)
1 handful Fresh Basil Leaves (whole)
drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
salt and pepper (to taste)
- Slice the tomatoes in 1/4 inch slices.
- Slice the mozzarella in 1/4 inch slices. Number of slices should equal the number of tomato slices.
- Remove basil leaves from stem. Number of leaves should equal the number of tomato slices
- Arrange slices of tomato and mozzarella, alternating, while placing a basil leaf on each tomato.
- Drizzle EVOO in a thin ribbon over the array.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately!
- Fresh mozzarella cheese is so soft that it can be tricky to slice. There are special slicers you can buy–or you can buy the pre-sliced variety found in your grocer deli case.
- This meal would be a great option for a summer lunch main dish with girlfriends. It is the perfect appetizer/side with a juicy filet mignon. Definitely date night at home material!