One of my favorite things about my Write 31 Days series last year was the Sunday Soundtrack every week. Music is powerful. Scripture says the Lord inhabits the praises of His people (Psalm 22:3). When we confess our faith, we glorify God by speaking the truth about His goodness. Y’all, there is power in speaking truth because Jesus IS Truth (John 14:6).
So, if we speak about God’s goodness
and sing about God’s goodness,
it is GOOD for us!
To focus on God’s goodness, I’ve made a Spotify playlist that you can find here (you will need the free app to be able to play this).
Or, you can watch/listen to the songs on Youtube—I’ve got links in the list below. Each week, on Sunday, I will give you six more songs to help you celebrate God’s goodness. I hope they encourage you as much as they encourage me. Sometimes I just need to be still and soak in the Truth. Here’s this week’s list:
- FOREVER REIGN This song confesses that God is good and we are not. It describes how much we need Him…how life is incomplete without Him. It is so beautiful and this version, by Hillsong Worship is my favorite.
- GOOD, GOOD FATHER Oh, Chris Tomlin, this song—it makes me cry! We have such a messed up idea about what God is like…we bring our brokenness into our understanding of Him. But His Word, it tells us how He is a good, good Father and that He really, really loves us.
- HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD Another Chris Tomlin song. He has such a grand view of God and knows how to remind us of the Lord’s goodness. “The Splendor of a King…” sometimes we forget how marvelous He is!
- GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS Chris Rice has an amazing album of hymns that I like to share about every chance I can. I listen to it every week…sometimes everyday. This particular song reminds us of God’s faithfulness—that His character cannot be shaken—just like one of my favorite verses in the Bible: “God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?” (Numbers 23:19, ESV).
- HOW GREAT THOU ART Here is another song from the same Chris Rice album. This beautiful old hymn always reminds me of my grandmother. She had such a great love for the Lord and a deep, deep respect for Him, His Holiness, His love.
- O FOR A THOUSAND TONGUES TO SING Groovy David Crowder does an amazing job updating this old hymn, while keeping the sense of majesty we are supposed to feel while we sing. These lyrics remind me that, as we sing, we join our voices with others from around the world and from throughout the ages…the Church, the angels, and all of creation confess His greatness!
Well friends, it’s Day Two of the Write 31 Days challenge and today I did a little better than yesterday. I’m posting this and it isn’t even 10:30pm yet! I am hoping to catch up and start getting these out earlier in the day, but time will tell. I am writing about God’s goodness for me as much as for you. I need reminding about what I already know, reminding about what I have learned and lived for so many years. The truth is, this year has left me a little more broken than usual, so I am diving deep into this confession: God is good.
Which song from our list is your favorite? Do you have one to add? Anyone out there on Spotify?? If not, you can download the app here and follow me (I just use the free version to make playlists that I listen to on my computer). Do you create playlists on iTunes, Amazon, or somewhere else? How do you like it?