Hymns to Bless You
Keith and Kristyn Getty write “modern day hymns.” We sing them at my church. For the first time in many years, my family attends a church with a traditional service that follows a more formal liturgy. I love it! Especially the hymns. The songs here, written by the Gettys, are so lovely and deep. Some of my favorites are In Christ Alone (my kiddos have played this song in church, on piano and guitar) and See What a Morning (I have written about this amazing song before, in this post).
Music to Remind You—You’re God’s Child
This week, we are focusing on living as part of God’s family. We are talking about what is means to be part of the Body of Christ and adopted by the Father—what this life, in the family of God, looks like. Here are a few of my favorites:
- More than You’ll Ever Know (Watermark) – this is an old song. I remember listening to it on the way to dental hygiene school (circa 1994). If you’ve never heard it, you have really missed out. It is all about what it means to be friends, and sisters in Christ.
- Prodigal Song (Laura Story) – this song is a stone cold tear jerker. It reprises the Parable of the Prodigal Son as a modern story. Get your Kleenex!
- If We are the Body (Casting Crowns) – “If we are the Body, why aren’t His arms reaching?” This song convicts me every time. It reminds us what it means to be part of the Body of Christ.
- Speak Life (Toby Mac) – this song has nothing to do with family or the Body, except that it reminds us how we are to treat other people. And that is pretty important.
- Bless the Broken Road (Rascal Flatts) – this song reminds me of how God puts everyone in our lives for a reason…the good, the bad, the ugly…they’re all meant to be loved by us.
If you have Spotify, you can follow me and my growing playlist called A #MoreAbundantLife. I’ll be adding to it each week. Or you can listen to it right here. If you don’t see the window with the list below, try refreshing your browser.
These are some of my favorite songs—how about you? Tell me, what you are listening to lately?